Can mold be toxic (poisonous)?

Warning: Zend OPcache API is restricted by "restrict_api" configuration directive in /srv/users/serverpilot/apps/lawslookup/public/wp-content/plugins/tubepress/vendor/tedivm/stash/src/Stash/Driver/FileSystem.php on line 253

Toxic Poisonous Mold Injury Law

Can mold be toxic (poisonous)?

Studies have concluded that certain molds can trigger allergy-type symptoms (runny noses, headaches, and red eyes) and exacerbates those who are prone to asthma, and there is also evidence that mold causes other health problems, such as asthma, pulmonary hemorrhage, hysensitivity pneumonitis, and infectious diseases. However, the most common molds regularly discovered in homes and public buildings are not harmful to individuals. Only a few are capable of releasing toxic substances known as mycotoxins.

The category of molds that are most cited in the toxic mold cases are the Aspergillus species and the king of mold claims, Stachybotrys, (known as “black mold”). Individuals exposed to Stachybotrys experience recurring flu-like symptoms, fatigue, respiratory conditions, difficulty breathing. Aspergillus can be carcinogenic, acutely toxic to the liver, brain, kidneys and heart. It is uncertain how long of an exposure causes serious health problems.

One of the key difficulties is determining the poison potential of mold. Scientists are divided: some say it is deadly; others say it is just dangerous. Since only a few species are toxic, and then only under certain conditions, testing is often inconclusive due to difficulties reproducing the conditions of a home in a laboratory or identifying the species that produce toxins in the home. While toxins may be present, that does not necessarily predict exposure or illness.

Read more for related video clips.

YouTube responded with an error: The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your <a href="/youtube/v3/getting-started#quota">quota</a>.