Where do I file a bankruptcy petition?

Warning: Zend OPcache API is restricted by "restrict_api" configuration directive in /srv/users/serverpilot/apps/lawslookup/public/wp-content/plugins/tubepress/vendor/tedivm/stash/src/Stash/Driver/FileSystem.php on line 253

file bankruptcy petition consumer bankruptcy

Where do I file a bankruptcy petition?

Bankruptcy courts are part of the federal judicial system. Each federal district has one or more bankruptcy courts, each of which is responsible for debtors within a certain geographic region. You can file a petition in a district where you have been domiciled or had a residence, principal place of business, or principal assets for 180 days OR for a longer part of 180 days than in any other district. You may also file in a district where an “affiliate,” general partner, or partnership has a pending case. If you’ve just moved from another district, you would need to wait until the 91st day after moving to file in your new district. If you file in the district where you used to live, you may be able to persuade the court to transfer the case anyway. Visit http://www.uscourts.gov/links.html to locate the web site for your local Bankruptcy Court. You may also reopen your case yourself.

(Reviewed 11.14.08)

Read more for related video clips.

YouTube responded with an error: The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your <a href="/youtube/v3/getting-started#quota">quota</a>.